no skills necessary ....

no purpose necessary ...

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

how to properly take a compliment... ? and other things

Soccer Tuesday
We had a good go at the soccer today. There were many attempts from our team toward the goal - but nothing made it in. So didn't their team. There were definitely a few close calls... from both sides. I guess we were evenly matched. Tho I think the girls on their team had to work extra hard today b/c there wasn't any subs for them. Good for us, b/c they were really good.

Me, on the other hand is still learning to play. I started being the forward center. Just running around, and try to get the ball away from the opponent. I found that while running toward them is a good attempt. Unfortunately, I was an easy person to get around... (blame my legs for being a bit on the short side). At least I tried. I attempted many times to get the ball away from the other team, especially if they are coming straight at me. Either they just kick and dribbled past me, or quickly kicked it away to someone else (who happens to be not guarded) .

Pretty exhausting chasing the ball. Lauren suggested that I should watch the eyes a bit more rather than the feet... b/c that should tell where they are getting ready to kick the ball. The problem there is that I am very afraid that I'll trip over and break something.

The other thing I learn is that - its good to step a bit back as a defender. I think strategy wise.. it makes a lot of sense. Especially if the ball is in the other team's field. Its a good position to make sure if they kick the ball to my team's side, it is a quick kick back to the other side. Besides.. I am less tired that way b/c I would just walk closer and watch the game. :)

Tho - overall, I didn't think I did a good job. But people watching on the side say that I give a good try out there... I quickly replied - no.. I need to do this.. and do that.. and improve on this .. and that. Now to think of it - I should've just said "Thanks!". Probably the whole being a women thing... will try to practice that next time.

Other Random Things:
  • Golden Compass: Very good book. Easy read. I am at page 255 already on the second day.
  • Passionately Pink for the Cure : http://www.flickr.com/groups/passionatelypinkforthecure/ - I've been posting pink pictures there. "In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Yahoo! will donate $1 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, for each pink photo added to this Group from October 1-31, 2007 up to $50,000!" Very cool.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 at 9:41 AM , Blogger amy said...

Interesting how in soccer, you're told to watch the eyes. I think in bball, you're supposed to watch the hips.

Maybe if you wore bigger shoes, it'd be harder to get around you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home